Monday, June 30, 2008

Seaweed soup! At ward's "Linger-Longer". Sun, Jun 29, 2008.

06/29/2008. Today our ward had a "Linger Longer", which is a pot-luck dinner after the meetings. We're on the 1:00pm to 4:00pm schedule so it would not conflict with the other ward.

I made seaweed soup, using Ito-Wakame (dried string seaweed), basmati rice, and some seasoning packets from ramen (but not the ramen noodles.)

I like it. A Korean customer turned me on to it years ago, and I've been a fan of it since. Seaweed takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it in. I usually use chicken bullion.

I took it mainly for the gross-out factor, but many people tried it (I suppose to be nice).

But to my surprise, more than half of the gallon of soup was gone by the end of the meal. I saw a couple people go back for seconds. One sister from Hawaii had seconds, and a brother who served a mission in Hong Kong praised it.

I brought a little butane stove and cooked it outside during the 3rd hour so as not to create a smell in the kitchen, and so it wouldn't sit around for hours getting soggy.

1 comment:

Bruce said...

I may have to try that at our next "Linger Longer".

btw, who in you ward served in Hong Kong? I served in Hong Kong too, from 91-93.